Welcome, Beaverton! Let’s start this Tuesday with everything you need to know about Beaverton today.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Low clouds. High: 63 Low: 41.
Here are the top five stories in Beaverton today:
- A local team heads to national wheelchair basketball championships this week. The Junior Wheel Blazers are on a roll, ready to show off their skills in the tournament of Wichita after a two-year hiatus due to the pandemic. Players come from schools across the region, including Central Catholic, Tigard High School and Scapoose High School. (Fox 12 Oregon)
- Discover in preview the gallery’s inaugural exhibition at the Reser Center, “Celilo, Never Silenced”. the Slabs Dam building in 1957 erased Celilo Falls and the adjacent village. The artists featured in the exhibition explore the impact of the infrastructure project and the historical memories of the populations it destroyed. (Oregon Arts Watch)
- Beaverton Pizza Hapa gets more positive press, this time in an article by Oregon Public Broadcasting. Writer Stephen Tonthat shares how creating asian inspired pies became an outlet for owner Aaron Truong to explore his childhood struggles with its Asian identity. Thanks to Hapa Pizza, Truong was able to learn how to celebrate his legacy.
- A state-of-the-art extreme air sports park should open in Beaverton on April 1. DEFY Extreme Air Sports (10750 SW Denney Road) will feature indoor slides, massive trampolines, obstacle courses and more. The 1st of April Grand opening event will present a range of discount opportunities. (PR Newswire)
- Dogs, cats and other pets can be adopted nearby! Click Beaverton Patch to see pets waiting for their “growing” home at a local shelter.
Today in Beaverton:
- Ready for Kindergarten Storytime (in Main) – 4 and 5 year olds (along with caregivers) are invited to an activity session to support kindergarten readiness. (11 a.m.)
- City State – The Mayor of the City of Beaverton will present “Beaverton Voices: State of the City 2022” via Zoom. Topics will include accomplishments from the past year and what to expect in the future. Visit the site to log in. (Midday)
- Test your intelligence on Broadway Bar and Lounge (12434 SW Broadway) with Last call quiz. (7 p.m. – 9 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Spring means a beautiful explosion of flowers throughout our glorious state (and the allergies that follow). Beaverton Public Library shared a Quick guide to some of best cherry blossom viewing spots. (Facebook)
- Get a preview of what to expect DEFY Extreme Air Sports‘ other locations via instagram.
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Do you like the Beaverton Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send this link to a friend or neighbor so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
- Send me a topical tip or suggestion at firstname.lastname@example.org
Alright, so good for today! See you tomorrow for your next update.
— Ash DeMello
About me: Find out my profile on the Beaverton Downtown Association blog or follow my chaos on instagram.